Vets Administered Vodka To An Almost Dying Kitty, Luckily His Life Was Saved

Vets gave vodka to a sick cat who ingested antifreeze
Vets gave vodka to a sick cat who ingested antifreeze
Advertisement
Advertisement

When it comes to animal health, we can only trust our pet’s life to the hands of a legit vet. But what if an animal doctor advised to administer vodka to your pet in order to save its life? Would you give your permission or just let the poor creature die of its sickness?

In our today’s narrative, you’ll get to know Tipsy. He’s a stray cat in Brisbane, Australia, who allegedly ingested antifreeze.

Antifreeze And Cats

Antifreeze consists of ethylene glycol, which has a scent that’s enticing to cats. This chemical we commonly use during the winter season to de-ice our stuff after a frosty night is actually fatal to our pets.

When cats lick or ingest even a small amount of antifreeze, toxicity may begin. In the first 12 hours, the animal becomes wobbly with episodes of vomiting.

Advertisement
Advertisement

If you failed to notice these signs, the poisoning may progress into the feline’s internal organs, causing increased heart rate, lethargy, and abdominal pain. At this point, most cats usually develop acute renal failure with a lesser chance of survival.

Now that you know how deadly antifreeze can be, you’ll understand what Tipsy had been through when he ingested the chemical. So the vets had a quick idea of introducing vodka to his system in an effort to save his life.

It’s not the usual protocol around animal hospitals. But it is the reason why Tipsy is still breathing until today. Continue reading below for the full story.

Rescuers Found A Lethargic Kitty Fighting For His Life

Cat suffered toxicity after ingesting antifreeze
Cat suffered toxicity after ingesting antifreeze

Tipsy was almost dying of toxicity when some kind-hearted rescuers found him on a street in Brisbane. The volunteers immediately brought the cat to a local RSPCA Animal Hospital, where the vets diagnosed him of acute renal failure.

Apparently, Tipsy was very lethargic when the rescuers sighted him. He can’t move, can’t lift his head and had a breathing difficulty. The responders also noted that the cat suffered from hypothermia and convulsion.

Go to the next page to see the video.


Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

avatar