Research Found Lead In Baby Food; Here’s What Parents Can Do

Advertisement
Advertisement

Out of all the food samples studied by The Environmental Defense Fund, 20 percent of lead has been found in baby food products.

Parents are cautioned to take extra measures to prevent lead buildup that may result in several health damages.

Lead poisoning is highly dangerous especially for children younger than six years. The toxic metal is said to affect mental and physical development at an extreme level.

Though there are available treatments for severe cases, the health damages that has occurred during the brain formation years are usually irreversible.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Exposure to even small amounts of lead can have a significant effect on a child’s IQ level, behavior, and speech development. The reason behind is the effect of the harmful substance in the developing brain cells. Apparently, it can stop or kill these cells, which halts the developmental process.

Moreover, the buildup of this toxic element in the bloodstream over a period of time may also result in more severe damage to cognitive development, the cardiovascular system, and the immune defense system of the child.

Because of the horror that lead poisoning can cause, paying attention to the lead content of baby products such as toys, cribs, and food is given priority by most parents.

That’s why this recent news about the lead presence in baby food samples is very alarming. Reportedly, research conducted by The Environmental Defense Fund found detectable lead contents in 20 percent of 2,164 baby food products.

The group examined the data gathered from 2003 to 2013 courtesy of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Surprisingly, the study revealed 89 percent of lead in grape juice, 86 percent in sweet potatoes, 47 percent in teething biscuits, and varying amounts in several other root vegetables.

It is worth noting that the lead presence in baby food is basically at low levels and doesn’t exceed the allowable amount. However, there really is no safe levels of lead. This is because the substance can accumulate in the bloodstream over time, which can contribute to poisoning.

Continue on to see the video..


Advertisement

Leave a Reply

avatar