Fire safety education in families should be treated as a responsibility. Incidents like this could happen anytime. It is a must that every family member is aware of what to do in case of fire.
And in our story today, we will see how important it is to educate your children about fire safety. Fireproofing your home is great but we all know that when tragedies happen, even the most prepared person could fail. Like what happened to the Holt family residence in Dummer, New Hampshire. Their house was quickly covered with fire even after the man of the house did his best to extinguish the flames.
It was just a regular night when John Holt parked his lawnmower in their barn after mowing earlier that day. But 20 minutes later, he saw black smoke coming from a room that’s located near the barn.
John ran as fast as he can to get the fire extinguisher and kill the flames. However, despite his best attempts to put off out the fire, it just didn’t stop.
Knowing that the situation is beyond him, he went back to their house to get his children out. Apparently, his wife was not yet home that night so it was only him and his three young kids.
He took his phone to dial 911 and gave it to Harrison, his 8-year-old son. The boy took the phone as he was carrying his sister on his other hand while John went back to extinguish the fire.
But as per the father, Harrison was just calm and so collected during the incident. He knew exactly what to do. Meet at the Oak tree, their designated emergency meeting spot, and don’t panic.
So Harrison went to the Oak tree where his other brother is waiting. John continued putting out the flames as the boy was speaking to 911 to report the incident.
Go to the next page to see the video.